[FOM] foundations meeting/FOMUS/discussion

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Wed Mar 23 17:43:19 EDT 2016

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Lawrence Paulson <lp15 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am very familiar with Martin Löf's intuitionistic type theory
> as it was in 1982, and his explanation of the rules makes
> perfect sense from the point of view of Heyting’s explanation
> of intuitionism. His system can be regarded as a straight
> formalisation of Heyting’s philosophy, and I believe it is also
> backed by some proof-theoretic results. I don’t know how easily
> it could be interpreted in ZF, because you can write things
> such as \lambda x. x (the unrestricted identity function),
> which is a proper class rather than a set. I am much less
> familiar with the type theory or theories underlying Coq and
> with the question of set-theoretic models there.
>
> Heyting’s explanation of the logical connectives involves a
> certain idea of evidence, where for example evidence for a
> conjunction is an ordered pair, evidence for a disjunction is
> an element of a disjoint sum and evidence for an implication is
> a (computable) function. This may not have much to do with
> traditional mathematical practice, but it has strong
> connections to computer science, and this explains the
> considerable interest in constructive mathematics on the part
> of theoretical computer scientists. My impression is that
> mainstream mathematicians are much less interested in
> intuitionism.

> In Martin Löf's 1982 type theory, evidence for a proof of
> equality was effectively vacuous. This made equality
> extensional. I remember reading Martin Löf's justification of
> this apparently controversial decision. In a nutshell, the
> point was that once we know that a=b we no longer need to know
> the reason. From my point of view, one advantage of this choice
> was that it kept the “evidence” relatively small even when it
> was based on a long and complicated proof. I did a lot of work
> connected with this type theory in the early 1980s. But
> sometime in 1984 or 1985, an intensional of equality was
> announced and the previous system was dismissed as
> flawed. Interest in the earlier system vanished not because of
> some paradox but because one man changed his mind, and all of
> my own work was rendered useless because it relied on
> extensional equality. That marked the end of my interest in
> constructive type theory.
>
> The Coq type theory is somewhat different but also has
> intensional equality. That means for examples that n+0 = n and
> 0+n = n (where n is a natural number) are quite different
> statements, one holding by definition and the other proved by
> induction. One of the claimed advantages of HTT is that it
> simplifies the treatment of equality. There is an obvious
> rejoinder to this.
>
> Larry Paulson

I think the obvious rejoinder amounts to a refusal to examine in
detail certain proofs, and their situation in a chain of
arguments.  A. Borovik has written about the difference between
the two problems

1. Find a natural number x such that 7 + x = 10

2. Find a natural number x such that x + 7 = 10

Borovik gave problem 1 to a beginner in arithmetic and the
beginner was able to solve the problem by doing:

7 + 1 = 8

7 + 2 = 9

7 + 3 = 10 ; OK, solution!

But problem 2 was more difficult: the puzzle is how to begin?

Now certainly the beginner is not mistaken in their logic.
Problem 1 and Problem 2 are quite different in their logical
structure.  Of course, if the problem solver has to hand the tool
(allow me for now the imprecision of language here) "the
operation + is commutative" then the solver may use the tool to
see that any solution to 1 is also a solution to 2 and vice
versa.

I think the terms "intensional" and "extensional" are misleading
here.  In the earlier "extensional" intuitionist type theory, the
implicit analysis of what a proof of "x = y" could be is grossly
wrong on its face.  For most x and y there exist different proofs
of their equality, if indeed they are equal.  Here is a possible
source of confusion in many mathematical texts:

Let A and B be mathematical structures.  Suppose in a proof we
have the line:

   A and B are isomorphic.

Well there are two completely different meanings to this line:

Meaning 1: We have a function f: Carrier(A) -> Carrier(B) which
is an isomorphism.

Meaning 2: We have a proof that there is some such f.

In classes in elmentary logic we can see a near related distinction:

Let us consider a class of structures Class1, which we define as
follows: A structure c1 is in Class1 in case there is a
substructure cs1 lying in c1 such that < relation obtains
between cs1 and c1 >.

Here is another class Class2, which we define as follows:
the pair (c1, cs1) lies in Class2 iff we have < relation obtains
between cs1 and c1 >.

Now indeed if we apply the forgetful functor First to any element
(c1, cs1) of Class2 we get an element c1 of Class1.  A partial
converse holds: Let c1 be any element of Class1.  Then we may
choose (if we can perhaps, here "constructivity" comes in) a cs1
and form the pair (c1, cs1) which is an element of Class2.

Now what is one difference between Class1 and Class2?  Well the
leap-to-the-eye categories, call them Cat1 and Cat2 are
completely different, in many cases.  This is, in part, how in
the development of type theory, and in particular HoTT,
categories come in.

Yes, these are trivial facts.  But they are important facts, and
they are the sort of facts which come up in the study of
"foundations for mathematics" and also in the design of proof
assistants.  These logical^Wfactual distinctions come up in the
design of proof assistants for all the popular candidates known
to me for the title "Foundations of Mathematics".  They come up
in the design of proof assistants for systems based on ZFC and
for all the new "type theoretic".  Any proof assistant to be
sound must respect these distinctions, else they give sanction to
crude logical errors.  The claim of the New Crazy Type Theory
folk is that they attempt to be more honest in their dealings
with these distinctions by aiming at a formalization of them.

Gian-Carlo Rota invented the word "cryptomorphic".  He pointed
out that the "matroids" may be defined in many different ways.
Different at the level of logic: A rank function is simply not a
collection of sets.  Indeed it would be a (type error | category
mistake) to think they were the same.  Here is a slogan for
propagandists for HoTT^WUnivalent Foundations:

   Univalent Foundations is the General Theory of Cryptomorphisms.

Let us apply this slogan to the problem "Are there different
proofs of 'x = y'?".  The answer is clearly "yes".  If x is given
by a rank function, and y is given by the collection of
independent sets, then the proof that 'x = y' will be logically
different from the proof in the case that x, as before, is given
by its rank function, and y by its coordinatizing matrix.  Rota
liked to repeat Hegel's apercu "Everything was off handedly
remarked on by somebody who did not discover it.".  Certainly our
examples here are trivial and immediately understood by students
of logic.  But the program of HoTT is to take these striking
trivialties and study them carefully, and that is different from
shrugging them off as "mere trivialities".  After all it was not
so long ago that many mathematicians thought that the study of
sets was the study of useless trivialties and/or
self-contradictions.

oo--JS.