[FOM] Foundationalist introduction to the field with one element, part I

Andrius Kulikauskas ms at ms.lt
Tue Jun 21 16:02:15 EDT 2016

Mario, Harvey, Colin,

Thank you for your responses to my question about the possible relevance
of the one-element field F1 to the Foundations of Mathematics.

I will add two other interpretation of the Gaussian binomial
coefficients.  Richard Stanley's "Enumerative Combinatorics" includes
the counting of k-dimensional subspaces of an n-dimensional vector space
over a field of characteristic q.  He shows that these coefficients also
count the number of Young tableaux which fit within a  k x (n-k)
rectangle where each tableaux cell has weight q.

But they also count the k-simplexes in an n-simplex where the vertices
of the n-simplex are given weights 1, q, q2, q3...qn-1 and the edges are
all given weights 1/q and the weight of a k-simplex is the product of
the weights of its vertices and edges.  In a k-simplex, all of the
vertices are linked to each other.  Thus we can think of the k-simplexes
as suborders within the total order defined by the n-simplex.  So as q
goes to 1 we are shifting from an ordered set to an unordered set.  Note
that generally at the heart of the counting of the elements of a finite
field is a notion of a canonical basis e1, e2...en, that is, a basis
that has a definite order.

In this context it is interesting to think about the -1 simplex. It is
implied by the leftmost diagonal of Pascal's triangle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplex
For example, the tetrahedron has:
1  ?     4 vertices     6 edges   4 faces   1 volume

My presentation
http://www.ms.lt/sodas/Book/DiscoveryInMathematics
shows my interpretation of the -1 simplex which I believe is relevant
for interpreting the field with one element.

Andrius

Andrius Kulikauskas
ms at ms.lt
+370 607 27 665