[FOM] Clarification (re my dialog with Harvey)

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sat Jul 23 17:47:40 EDT 2016

My point in noting that a Pi-0-1 statement could be refuted by nothing more
than a finite number of additions and multiplications was NOT to suggest
that such refutations would always be feasible (as Harvey apparently
thought).  Rather it was to suggest that since to say that a Pi-0-1
statement is TRUE is to say that no such computation would ever yield zero.
Thus a case for absolute truth for such statements.

By my suggestion regarding number theory what I meant was that if one
doubts this characterization on the ground that arbitrarily large numbers
would have to be included such a doubt would have to apply to number theory
as well.

Martin