[FOM] reply to Harvey

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 22:58:44 EDT 2016

Conservative new axiom theory provides some perspective on "absolute truth in set
theory", which has recently been discussed on the FOM newsgroup by Martin Davis
and Harvey Friedman; and in effect in a posting of Neil Barton of Apr 22.

There is some absolute truth in set theory, namely that there is a cumulative
hierarchy of sets, starting from the empty set, and proceeding by taking the
power set at successor stages and taking the union at limit stages.  One introduces
some axioms and defines the ordinal numbers as prescribed by von Neuman, to "bootstrap"
a method for formalizing the iteration.

The absolute universe $V$ is the union of the sets $V_\alpha$ of the cumulative
hierarchy.  According to ZFC, it satisfies the axiom scheme of replacement.  In fact,
it satisfies second-order replacement.  Since $V$ is a universe of discourse, the
endlessness of the cumulative hierarchy entails that these axioms reflect in some $V_\kappa$,
and $\kappa$ is an inaccessible cardinal.

Thus, new axioms can be added, in a conservative manner, and provide examples
of "absolute truth at work".  Axioms of this type concern what Barton (op cit)
calls the "height" of the universe.

Martin Davis, in "Pragmatic Platonism", states
 "if the iterative hierarchy is taken seriously, it (CH) does have a truth value
 whether we can ever find it or not."

Absolute truth is not as forthcoming for CH and 0# as it is for the existence
of small large cardinals, such as the axiom of inaccessibles, Tarski's axiom that the
inaccessibles are unbounded, etc.  These can be added to ZFC with a high degree of
confidence.  Neither CH or ~CH, nor 0# or ~0#, can be.  Perhaps this is one reason
set theorists have raised suspicions concerning absolute truth.

Martin Dowd