[FOM] P =? NP: A practically important breakthrough

Arnold Neumaier Arnold.Neumaier at univie.ac.at
Wed Jan 20 06:11:03 EST 2016

On 01/19/2016 09:18 PM, Josef Urban wrote:
> This may be off-topic, ignorant, or subsumed by what others wrote, but I
> have always wondered why people so easily assume "randomness of the
> physical world" in their arguments. Haven't they read we are "most likely"
> simulated - www.simulation-argument.com ? Or does quantum theory really
> clearly show randomness of the "physical world"?

The simulation view is a very fringe position in quantum mechanics.

The most widely prevalent view is the statistical view that quantum
mechanics makes (except under very special circumstances) only
statistical predictions about microscopic observations. This doesn't
prove that the world is intrinsically random but shows at least that the
microscopic details are way beyond our control. The latter is true even
in Bohmian mechanics, the most developed one among the deterministic
interpretations of quantum mechanics.

Arnold Neumaier