[FOM] Talk on Formal Verification

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 15:12:25 EST 2016

This was just a wild guess based on (i) what we are able to do today on the
Mizar corpus, (ii) how quickly the methods have been developing and how
much performance boost they have brought, and (iii) some idea of what might
be tried quite soon to further improve state of the art. I don't have
Nate-Silver-style advanced statistical (or other) reasoning behind the bet.

I can imagine systems (a la Lenat's AM, complemented by today's AI/ATP
methods) that will develop the theorem and its proof fully automatically
based on just the axioms. But one wild bet seems enough :-).

I also have no idea about the Kolmogorov-style complexity of today's AI
programs. Computing such metrics for real-life programs seems infeasible so
far.

Btw., the Mizar proof I mentioned is not based on ZFC but on the
Tarski-Grothendieck axioms. It probably does not matter much for this
debate.

Josef