[FOM] Pluralistic Foundational Crisis?/set theory/completed

Neil Barton bartonna at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:50:53 EDT 2016

Dear Toby,

Thanks for your very rich and interesting mail. I'm really looking forward
to the symposium!

There's lots to talk about, but I have one quibble:

​My anecdotally derived impression, is that the diehard (one-universe) view
> is the mainstream one.​

You're clear that this is anecdotally derived, but I just don't get this
sense at all. In my experience, for many (philosophically interested) set
theorists I've spoken to, philosophical view and set-theoretic practice are
inextricably bound together. It seems to me that there's a lot of people
working in different frameworks, with no-one view having a strong majority.

Since that's also anecdotal, I made a (one question!) survey to
(non-rigorously) test this. You can answer it here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7K6H52M

It comprises one question:

1. Is there a unique, maximal, proper class universe of set theory?

Available answers are:

A1 *Yes.*

A2 *No.* There are maximal universes, but they are incompatible (our
set-concept bifurcates).

A3 *No.* There are many universes extending each other in height. The
powerset operation is determinate, and there is an unbounded sequence of
universes, each of which is a rank initial segment of the next.

A4 *No.* There are many universes extending each other in width. Privileged
universes contain all the ordinals, but the powerset operation in not
determinate.

A5 *No.* There are many universes, and any universe can be extended in both
height and width. The (set-theoretic representatives of) natural numbers
are determinate though.

A6 *No.* Any first-order model of some set theory is a universe as
legitimate as any other.

A7 I am *strongly agnostic* about this question.

A8 I think this is a *bad question* (say because one thinks that set theory
is just a bad foundation, or the issue is intractable).

A9 Other (please specify)

I think it would be interesting, at least from a sociological perspective,
to see the spread of responses from within the FOM community to this
question. After a week, I'll record the results and try a more `open'
version on social media and soforth.

All Best,

Neil