[FOM] re Plural Logic/Foundations

Stewart Shapiro shapiro.4 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 21 13:44:04 EDT 2016

As I understand it, the move to plurals is (or was) meant to get the
benefits of full second-order languages, but without a commitment to the
existence of proper classes, properties, or whatever.  The claim is, or
seems to be, that the natural language constructions using plurals do not
carry this commitment.  I don't think it makes much difference to f.o.m.,
as understood in the list, for example.

Consider an instance of comprehension, formulated with the plural idiom.
Let A(x) be a predicate with x free.  Then the instance of comprehension is
something like this:  "there are some things such that a given thing x is
one of them just in case A(x)".

What you end up with, supposedly, is full monadic second-order logic.  And
given that in most of the structures of interest, one can define pairing,
then one ends up with full second-order logic.  So for arithmetic, the
plural formulation would be full second-order PA.