[FOM] Friedman/Baez/getting HOT

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Tue Apr 12 08:44:51 EDT 2016

Dear FOM,

The following was written in the below email by Harvey Friedman, quoting Baez and Rowan.

> So we're unifying topology and logic, while dramatically simplifying the former.
>
> To me, THIS is what makes the field interesting.
>
> The unification of topology and logic has been underway for a long
> time now; it didn't start with HoTT.  But HoTT does it in a nice way.

Taking a (historical) step back here may be in order:

1) Theorems of constructive/recursive mathematics are often much more complicated
than their classical counterpart (having lots of ‘extra data’) because of the need to
enforce computability (or constructivity).

For instance, a colleague of mine looked at the definition of “atlas” in topology
and tried to formulate this in recursive math.  After the definition grew from a paragraph
to more than three pages, he gave up.

2) Related to this, Reverse Math (RM) came about by shifting the framework/point of view:
Rather than enforcing computability, people in RM study theorems `as they stand’ and try
to determine ‘how much non-computability’ is necessary (actually, which set existence axioms are needed).

3) As far as I understand it, HoTT enforces (via the Univalence axiom) that “isomorphic objects are identified”.
Similar to the case of constructive/recursive math, this ‘enforcement' has the potential to lead to very complicated
theorems, especially in areas of mathematics where one does not normally/naturally identify isomorphic objects.

Hence two questions:

a) What makes HoTT different from constructive/recursive math, i.e. why will enforcing a given paradigm not lead to more complicated theorems this time around?

b) What about “Reverse HoTT”, where one classifies theorems according to how much univalence / “identifying isomorphic objects” is needed?

Best,

Sam