[FOM] Foundational Issues: Friedman/Carneiro

Mario Carneiro di.gama at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:14:44 EDT 2016

Your reaction is very interesting. I suppose I should observe that my
background is in computer mathematics, so when I say "proof" I really mean
"formal proof". Given a formal proof P of a statement A in some
formalization software, it is generally a trivial matter to run the
software, to check that all the steps in the proof are valid. If this is
true, then it is a proof, otherwise not. It's very clear cut when you have
data of this quality.

I suppose you are talking about informal proofs, which are only an
approximation to the above picture, so there is some loss of objectivity
there (since different mathematicians may disagree about how "obvious" the
steps are, etc.). I will not try to give a full explanation of how this
translates to informal proof, because the story becomes much more complex;
I'll leave it to the actual philosophers.

But at least with formal proof, it really boils down to an objective
answer, unless you want to consider cosmic rays causing your computer to
malfunction and verify a false proof (and the chances of this are
astronomically low). Bugs in the verifier are also a possibility, but this
can be mitigated by having multiple verifiers, a simple kernel, and of
course independent human verification of the proofs.

Mario