[FOM] Challenge addressed by HoTT/UF that is not addressed by ZFC

Dimitris Tsementzis dtsement at princeton.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:41:43 EDT 2016

Dear Freek,

> I think HoTT is built upon a type theory with a hierarchy of
> type universes?  I always think of Type_0 as "small" types,
> and Type_1 as "large" types.

Yes, the difference I was trying to point out is between sets in HoTT and general types. The same kind of issues arise for small and large types in HoTT. But there is a way to look at it so that they don’t arise for sets in HoTT, if one takes very seriously the idea that sets in HoTT are not primitive. (My replies to Ben Sherman and Francois Dorais tried to clarify this.)

Dimitris