[FOM] Challenge addressed by HoTT/UF that is not addressed by ZFC

Dimitris Tsementzis dtsement at princeton.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:34:16 EDT 2016

Dear Francois,

> Could you explain how HoTT can talk about *all* sets? I've been trying to understand what you mean and here is what I arrived at.

My reply to Ben Sherman contains my explanation.

> I understand I can form the type SET_i of all sets in a universe level U_i. The resulting type SET_i is a type in the next universe level U_{i+1}. However, U_{i+1} has more sets than U_i and so SET_i does not have *all* sets from the point of view of U_{i+1}. Admittedly, since SET_i is not itself a set, it is not immediately obvious that U_{i+1} must have more sets than U_i. One can see that U_{i+1} does indeed have more sets than U_i by recasting the Burali-Forti paradox in HoTT (see Section 10.3 of the HoTT Book for the necessary ingredients).

Yes, but suppose I am “inside” U_{i+1}. Then Set_{i+1} does not exist for me. To define it, I need to view U_{i+1} also as a universe. (As I said to Ben Sherman, in book HoTT one can always do this because we are assuming countable universes; but it’s not necessary to do this.) Therefore, from inside U_{i+1} the only sets I can see are the terms of Set_{i}. Everything else is a homotopy type. There are no “large” sets for me since I cannot define h-levels in the universe I’m sitting in. Here it becomes very clear in what sense sets are a derived notion in HoTT, not a primitive one.

(I agree with everything you say regarding Burali-Forti and large and small sets when comparing two universes. I am merely explaining a different point of view in which you are within a universe and do not allow yourself to regard it as a universe.)

> 3. Universe polymorphism does seem like a good way to take a global look at all SET_i together, but this device doesn't seem much different than the use of set-theoretic universes by Mac Lane, Grothendieck and others.

I think I disagree. In usual type theory, yes, perhaps I share your view. But in HoTT, with a well-understood distinction between types and sets, and where universes are made up of homotopy types, I think the situation is relevantly different that the Mac Lane, Grothendieck etc. approaches. I grant that this is maybe a matter of taste though. And in any case I don’t think it affects the above points.

Dimitris