[FOM] Foundational Issues: Friedman/Carneiro

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 8 13:29:12 EDT 2016

Mario Carneiro wrote:

> I think we have a difference of understanding of the word "exists" here.
> When I say "the natural numbers exist", I mean no more or less than "?
> N, (0 in N /\ ? n in N, n+1 in N) is a theorem in the theory of
> interest". That's a finite statement about a finite string, with a
> finite proof (assuming I am not making a false claim). It's all well and
> good if you want to think there is some world out there where you can
> meet the actual natural numbers, but it literally has no bearing on the
> statement. I suppose you could call this "anti-platonism", although that
> makes it sound as if I assert the *non*existence of platonic objects,
> when instead my position is closer to "who cares".

Just for clarification, do you believe that there is "some world out there
where you can meet actual finite strings"?

Only a diehard skeptic would deny that there is a world out there where we
can meet ink attached to paper, or fluorescent pixels on a screen, or talc
clinging to slate, but that of course is not the same as meeting a "finite
string."  A string, on the face of it, is a platonic object.  Is your
position on the existence of strings close to "who cares"?

Tim