[FOM] Apartness topology and (constructive) nonstandard analysis

katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il
Wed Sep 9 09:09:41 EDT 2015

Thanks very much for this.  This was indeed my point.  Cauchy used
infinitesimals (in an essential way) in defining with continuity, in dealing
with convergence of series of functions, in geometric probability, and in the
theory of elasticity. It would be interesting to trace their use in
hydrodynamics as far back as possible, also.  Who was at the origin of this?
MK