[FOM] Apartness topology and (constructive) nonstandard analysis

katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il
Mon Sep 7 10:17:33 EDT 2015

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your post.  Note that one should neither conflate the
notions of "structure" and "construction" nor assume that there are
any ultrafilter products to be found in the outside world.  If there
is any message that should have come through clearly in Sam Sanders'
posting is that Nelson's system represents a syntactic approach.  Here
infinitesimals are found within the ordinary real number system
itself.  The system does not suffer from nonconstructive aspects
any more than the traditional real numbers.  If this seems to be a
philosophical challenge to the customary platonist intuitions about
the real numbers, then so be it.

MK