[FOM] The unbearable ghastliness of 0/0

katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il
Sun Sep 6 03:30:48 EDT 2015

Dear Martin,

Thanks for this entertaining post.  An audience of logicians may not
find it baffling that a genius of Leibniz's caliber repeatedly wrote
in his work, both published and unpublished (response to Nieuwentijt,
Cum Prodiisset, and others) that he is working with a (binary)
relation more general than equality.

Thus Leibniz realized the difference between "equality on the nose"
and "equality up to".  Leibniz had several different pieces of
notation for equality, but he did not distinguish between different
types of equality by means of notation.

Nonetheless Leibniz's writings indicate that he had an answer to
Berkeley's logical criticism, in terms of Leibniz's generalized
relation of equality.  To follow up on your example, the replacement
of 2x+dx by 2x does not amount to "setting dx equal to zero" but
rather an application of Leibniz's transcendental law of homogeneity
which, in modern terminology, allows one to drop higher order terms.
The relation between 2x+dx and 2x is not that of equality on the nose
but rather a more general relation.  The principle is procedurally
somewhat similar (though not identical) to the standard part (shadow)
available in a hyperreal framework.

This is only one of the many aspects of Leibniz's theoretical strategy
for dealing with infinitesimals, which were analyzed in our 2012 study
in "The Notices of the AMS"
http://www.ams.org/notices/201211/rtx121101550p.pdf and the 2013 study
in the philosophy journal "Erkenntnis"
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10670-012-9370-y and the 2014 study in the
specialized journal "Studia Leibnitiana"
http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.2137 and other articles (see
http://u.cs.biu.ac.il/~katzmik/infinitesimals.html)

If Hegel and Marx were confused about this, it is yet no reason for
the informed mathematical public to continue giving Berkeley's flawed
critique far more credit than it deserves.

MK