[FOM] The unreasonable effectiveness of Nonstandard Analysis

Grant Olney Passmore grant.passmore at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 5 10:52:07 EDT 2015

Hi,

On the topic of numerical meaning of infinitesimals: Let me mention a
technique and software package (z3rcf) that Leo de Moura and I developed
for computing in real closed fields of the form RealClosure(Q(t_1,...,t_k,
eps_1,...,eps_n)), where the t_i's are computable transcendentals and the
eps_i's are infinitesimals (with each eps_{i+1} infinitely smaller than
eps_{i}). The technique forms the basis of a new algorithm we've developed
for exact global nonlinear optimization. Computation over non-Archimedean
real closed fields is crucial to the method.

There's a blog post (including examples using a Python API for z3rcf) here:
https://leodemoura.github.io/blog/2013/02/02/inf-trans.html

A PDF of the paper is here:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~gp351/infinitesimals.pdf

Title: Computation in Real Closed Infinitesimal and Transcendental
Extensions of the Rationals

Abstract: Recent applications of decision procedures for nonlinear real
arithmetic (the theory of real closed fields, or RCF) have presented a need
for reasoning not only with polynomials but also with transcendental
constants and infinitesimals. In full generality, the algebraic setting for
this reasoning consists of real closed transcendental and infinitesimal
extensions of the rational numbers. We present a library for computing over
these extensions. This library contains many contributions, including a
novel combination of Thom's Lemma and interval arithmetic for representing
roots, and provides all core machinery required for building RCF decision
procedures. We describe the abstract algebraic setting for computing with
such field extensions, present our concrete algorithms and optimizations,
and illustrate the library on a collection of examples.

Best wishes,
Grant