[FOM] The unbearable ghastliness of EFQ, and sundry other matters arising from Harvey's last post

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 4 11:52:22 EDT 2015

A private email from an FOM member helped me understand this debate a bit
better.

Consider:

A. From a contradiction follows anything.
B. The material conditional P => Q is true if P is false.

Does the disagreement boil down to whether there is any distinction
between A and B?  As I understand it, Neil Tennant sees a distinction and
says that Core Logic utilizes B but not A.  Harvey, perhaps, sees no
important distinction between the two, or at least claims that actual
mathematical practice does not observe a distinction?

Tim