[FOM] Concerning EFQ and Cut

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 02:25:24 EDT 2015

Since Neil's reproof of

empty set is contained in A

in normal mathematical language still has the idea that a
contradiction yields anything, what Neil writes must be tied to some
idiosyncratic way of looking at the formalization of proofs.

In fact, there ought to be a theorem to the effect that any proof of

"empty set is contained in A"

must have the idea that a contradiction yields everything. ONCE I see
a proof of this theorem in NORMAL mathematical language that does NOT
have the idea that a contradiction yields anything, then I can REVISIT
the matter in some productive way. Until then, we are simply being
presented with the fact that in some formalization associated with
mathematical proofs, you can replace one rule or axiom scheme by
others.

NEVERTHELESS, the fact is that the normal way mathematicians prove
this and similar things DOES explicitly use the idea that a
contradiction yields anything. So even if there is a way of proving
the above without explicitly using the idea - which I have not seen -
there is the question of just why we should be changing the way
mathematicians write proofs along these lines?

ALSO - what about asking the only people on the planet who create
absolutely rigorous proofs of serious mathematical theorems, the proof
assistance people, like. e.g., the MIZAR people, what EFQ and EFQ like
things look like in their systems, and whether they use them? I wonder
if Neil has connected with them about just this?

There are a couple of other aspects of this. I see "ghastly EFQ". I
don't know of a single working mathematician who has this view. For an
analogous situation

c times x

for integers c,x, does really depend on what c,x is. They are both
relevant --- EXCEPT when c is not 0. This is very much like EFQ to a
working mathematician. That 0 times x has answer with x being
irrelevant. Why should EFQ be any different, conceptually, from this
basic situation?

Which of the following

A or (A implies B)
(A and not(A)) implies B

are "Ghastly"? When I occasionally see something like the first one, I
either go to truth tables, or I reason like:

case 1. A. Done.
case 2. not A. Assume A. Then B. Done.

For the second:

Assume A and not(A). Then A, not(A). Contradiction. Hence B.

Are these proofs "Ghastly"?

Now let me turn to the "cut" aspect of this. Here I think we can also
turn the discussion into productive channels.

You cannot prove any of

1+...+1 = 0 implies 1 = 0

for more than one plus sign. And if you add all of the above axioms to
the negation free PA I wrote about, you still cannot prove a whole
bunch of things. By the way, with or without the above axioms, the
system is decidable, and provable consistent within EFA. But I leave
this discussion for now, falling short of getting into some deeper
issues

On the "cut" side of things, I think Neil is offering up a system with
no cut. And once again, one has a proof that cut is not needed.

However, cut is badly needed in a different sense. If we are talking
about pure predicate calculus, we know that there is a super
exponential blowup. In a real world example, there simply cannot be a
super exponential blowup in an appropriate formalization of an actual
mathematical proof, since the Solar System does not have enough room
for proofs of this kind of size.

Once again, the issue of whether cuts REALLY are used, or REALLY can
be removed, depends on the exact way you formalize mathematics. Here
again, consulting the MIZAR or other similar kinds of people, would be
important. There are contests surrounding proving validness in
predicate calculus alone, even though these days, much more attention
is paid to interacting with proper axioms.

I would guess that these experts are armed with plenty of examples of
predicate calculus validities with proofs by hand and by machine with
cuts, but where it is much harder to eliminate the cuts, OR EVEN where
it is suspected that there is a serious blowup, and EVEN where it is
known that there is a serious blowup.

The best examples of known blowup are somewhat nice. They involve
induction for a free predicate symbol on the numbers below 2^2^...^2.
One needs a very small number of proper axioms, and these are put on
the left side of the implication. Here there is provable blowup, AND
the proofs with cut are very natural. As interesting as these examples
are, it would be fascinating to get a variety of real world examples
like this, to understand the boundary between cut elimination being
reasonable, and cut elimination being ridiculous.

Harvey Friedman