[FOM] Fwd: Midwest PhilMath Workshop 16

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Wed Sep 2 18:31:40 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Detlefsen <mdetlef1 at nd.edu>
Date: Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Subject: Midwest PhilMath Workshop 16
To: Detlefsen Mic <mdetlef1 at nd.edu>

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

I hope this note finds you well. I’m sending this as a final reminder of
the sixteenth annual Midwest PhilMath Workshop (MWPMW 16), which will be
held at the U of Notre Dame the weekend of Saturday, November 7th and
Sunday, November 8th, 2015. As usual, the plan is to schedule a full day of
talks and discussions for Saturday and a half day for Sunday. Also as
usual, there will be a workshop dinner Saturday evening, with all
participants invited to attend as guests of the university.

We’re pleased to announce that there will be a symposium on rigor at this
year’s workshop. It will feature talks by Juliet Floyd (Boston U), Doug
Jesseph (U of South Florida) and Alex Paseau (Oxford U).

The workshop’s website is at
https://mdetlefsen.nd.edu/midwest-philmath-workshop/midwest-philmath-workshop-16/.
Please go there to register for the workshop. This year, we are asking all
participants to register. We are also asking you to make your own hotel
reservations this year. Hotel information is available on the workshop’s
website, as are links concerning other practical information.

If you would like to give a talk at the workshop, please email a pdf of it,
or a substantial summary, to Paddy (pblanche at nd.edu), Tim (tbays at nd.edu),
Curtis (cfranks at nd.edu) and me (mdetlef1 at nd.edu). We would like to have all
proposals for talks by September 15th so that we can set the program by
late September. Talks should be 35--40 minutes in length, with 15--20
minutes left for discussion.

We're fortunate to have Ms. Lauri Roberts (lroberts at nd.edu) as the workshop
manager this year. She replaces our friend and colleague Harriet Baldwin
who retired this past January.

Finally, I'd ask that you share this announcement with others you know who
may be interested, both students and faculty. As usual we will have funds
(albeit limited) to help defray expenses for student participants coming
from out of town whose departments do not have funds to cover their costs.
These funds will generally take the form of subventions for lodging. If you
are interested in applying for a subvention, please notify us of that fact
as soon as you can. At that time, please also have an appropriate faculty
member from your department email us to confirm that it cannot meet your
expenses.

I look forward to seeing you in November.

Cordially,

Mic Detlefsen, Paddy Blanchette, Tim Bays and Curtis Franks
MWPMW 16 Directorate