[FOM] Post's paper on generalized gamma functions

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue Sep 1 18:25:37 EDT 2015

Post's first published paper, written when he was a student, deals with the
functional equation g(z+1) = f(z)g(z). He proves that under suitable
regularity conditions, the solutions have expressions generalizing the
usual textbook representations of the gamma function.

The methods are ordinary complex analysis, and likely have no relation to
the thread involving o-minimality and such, but I thought I should mention
it anyhow.

The reference is "The Generalized Gamma Functions," Annals of Mathematics,
vol.20(1918-19), pp.202-217. It is reprinted in "Solvability,Provability,
Definability, The Collected Works of  Emil L. Post," Birkhäuser 1994.