[FOM] 605: Integer and Real Functions

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Tue Sep 1 09:49:45 EDT 2015

Chow and Steiner have discussed multiplication as repeated addition (or not)

This is a major feature of Chapter 8 of the book I announced yesterday.

http://homepages.math.uic.edu/~jbaldwin/pub/philbook83015.pdf

I argue that the geometric and arithmetic conceptions of multiplication are
the same and that
a major result of Hilbert's grundlagen is their unification over suitable
domains.

John T. Baldwin
Professor Emeritus
Department of Mathematics, Statistics,