[FOM] 622: Adventures in Formalization 6

Mitchell Spector spector at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 28 04:04:10 EDT 2015

Addition on Conway's surreals, restricted to ordinals, is not the same as the usual addition on
ordinals.  Addition of surreals is commutative, while the usual addition of ordinals is not commutative.

In fact, addition of surreals, restricted to ordinals, is the same as the so-called natural addition
of ordinals.  (I don't think I've ever seen natural addition of ordinals used in set theory.)

Mitchell Spector