[FOM] On definitions of terms, and free logic---a quick follow-up

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 22:13:53 EDT 2015

I will be spelling out a lot of details in how I recommend the
formalization of mathematics proceed beyond what I have written in

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2015-October/019240.html
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2015-October/019281.html

in a lot more detail, and one of the main issues is the handling of
the many faces of {blah blah blah} - i.e., the braces.

One of the multiple faces of the braces is its use as an
indefinite-ary function symbol. (Another separate role is its use as
an abstraction operator).

The use of indefinite-ray function symbols is of essential importance
in mathematics. The most famous example of an indefinite-ary function
symbol is +. (Another issue that must be addressed, is + on what? How
do we indicate what the what is?)

As an indefinite-ary function symbol,braces behaves for each n, like
any other function symbol in free logic - e.g., +. Of course, this
particular one, in set theory, has the property that for all
arguments, it is defined. But at any undefined argument(s) it is
undefined, just like +. (Of course, + does differ from braces in the
sense that + is an indefinite-ray infix function symbol, whereas
braces surround. I have forgotten the name for surrounding function
symbols.)

To see the big advantages of this for the formalization of
mathematics, consider ordered pairing. We certainly want <x,1/0> to be
undefined for all x. We also want (or want some variant of)

And since the left side is undefined, we definitely need to have
{x,1/0} undefined (for any x).

Harvey Friedman