[FOM] free logic

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 12:22:25 EDT 2015

[Perhaps there is some prospect of inviting Mike Fourman into this discussion. He is well familiar with such issues through his work on what is sometimes called the Scott-Fourman logic. I believe that he was also involved with an implementation of such a formalism. Obviously, William Farmer is also very experienced with this topic.]

There is no doubt that a free logic is more expressive and precise than higher-order logic as typically used in proof assistants, where every term is defined but doesn’t necessarily denote anything sensible. The question is whether the additional expressiveness justifies the additional complications involved in implementing and using a free logic. It’s unfortunate that IMPS, which incorporated a lot of novel ideas, failed to catch on with the research community. Instead, many researchers (particularly in the USA) adopted PVS, which combined the “everything is defined” basis of higher-order logic with a well-definedness check, which returned a list of assertions that the user had to prove in order to guarantee that every function was applied within its domain. This latter approach was possibly easier to use, but as it turned out, very difficult to implement the soundly. PVS was plagued by critical bugs for some time.

Partial functions and definedness don’t seem to come up as issues in discussions with colleagues about the limitations of our systems. Nor are they discussed as topics that need addressing in papers that I read, unless they are specifically on this topic to begin with. We seem to cope with definedness perfectly well within our formalisms. We have used descriptions, both definite and indefinite, for 30 years. I have personal experience of formalising a wide range of mathematical material, including elementary number theory and group theory, Gödel’s incompleteness theorem, Gödel’s constructible universe and the relative consistency of the axiom of choice, and more recently a lot of results in complex analysis, such as Cauchy’s integral formula and the Weierstraß approximation theorem. In analysis, there are many situations where limits or integrals are undefined; these are easily dealt with using relations, for example, <x_i> converges to y. A relational assertion tells us that the limit exists as well as telling us what it is. Advocates of free logics really have to prove that they can deliver useful additional expressiveness without imposing unreasonable costs.

Larry Paulson