[FOM] FOM Digest, Vol 154, Issue 15

Paul Blain Levy P.B.Levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 16 16:23:51 EDT 2015

Dear Freek,

If your seven Mizar definitions were the only occasions when
mathematicians want to embed a set inside another set, I suppose the
awkwardness wouldn't matter.  But we encounter this situation again and
again, e.g. embedding an arbitrary ring R inside the polynomial ring
R[x], or an integral domain inside its field of fractions.  In each of
these cases the embedding is often elided in informal discourse.  Are
you saying that, in all such situations, the definer should contrive to
make the bigger set disjoint from the original (smaller) one?

Another point: if, as you seem to be saying, you aim is merely to export
abstract data types of natural numbers, integers, etc. to your users,
what is wrong with defining an integer to be an equivalence class and
then defining the natural numbers to be a subset of the integers?  These
natural numbers, which you export, will not be the ones you used to
implement integers, but the latter are unknown to your users so the
discrepancy won't matter.

Paul