[FOM] Official Notice Regarding Death of Aldo Antonelli

Richard Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Wed Oct 14 21:37:19 EDT 2015

Curtis Franks already posted a note about the death of our colleague
Aldo Antonelli. I've been asked by his colleagues at UC-Davis to post
the text of the official announcement regarding his death to this list.
There are some wonderful reminiscences already on the website of the UC
Davis department, at
     http://philosophy.ucdavis.edu/
People are encouraged to add their own.

Richard Heck

====

Our colleague, friend and collaborator, Aldo Antonelli, passed away
suddenly on Sunday, October 11, 2015 while bicycling in Sacramento,
California. He is survived by his partner, Elaine Landry, brother David,
and sons Federico and Riccardo.

Aldo Antonelli was a professor of philosophy at the University of
California, Davis. An expert in pure and applied logic, his research
largely focused on issues in defeasible reasoning and non-monotonic
logic. His more recent work in philosophy of logic was concerned with
applications of generalized quantifier theory and abstraction principles
to the foundations of arithmetic in the more general context of Fregean
foundations, as well as making contributions to Frege scholarship.

Together with his partner and colleague, philosopher of mathematics
Elaine Landry, Antonelli established philosophy of logic and mathematics
as a focal point of scholarship in the Davis department. Antonelli was a
member of the Association for Symbolic Logic, the American Philosophical
Association, the Philosophy of Mathematics Association, and the Society
for Exact Philosophy. He had served as coordinating editor of the
Journal of Philosophical Logic and the Review of Symbolic Logic. He
taught at Pittsburgh, Yale, Stanford and Michigan State, before joining
the University of California, first at Irvine in 1998, and then moving
to UC Davis in 2008.

Aldo’s self-description captures his spirit, focus, and sense of humor best:

I grew up in Torino, Italy, where I received my undergraduate education.
After a brief stint in corporate R&D, I ended up in Pittsburgh, pursuing
a graduate degree at Pitt. I taught here and there around the country
for a few years before obtaining my first tenure track job. I then spent
ten years at UC Irvine, including two years while on assignment abroad,
before coming to Davis. My Erdös number is 4 (Paul Erdös to Joel Spencer
to Nuel Belnap to Rich Thomason).

Contributions in Aldo’s memory may be made to a fund in support of
graduate students working in logic and philosophy of logic. Please write
checks to: UC Davis Foundation, marked “Aldo” and mail to: Chair,
Department of Philosophy, One Shields Avenue, Davis CA 95616 USA.

--
-----------------------
Richard G Heck Jr

Website:   http://rgheck.frege.org/
Blog:      http://rgheck.blogspot.com/
Amazon:    http://amazon.com/author/richardgheckjr
Google+:   https://plus.google.com/108873188908195388170
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/rgheck

Check out my books "Reading Frege's Grundgesetze"
   http://tinyurl.com/ReadingFregesGrundgesetze
and "Frege's Theorem":
   http://tinyurl.com/FregesTheorem
or my Amazon author page: