[FOM] 629: Boolean Algebra/Simplicity

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 01:08:57 EDT 2015

Nice! It does show that it is possible to carry out such research, at
least in some contexts, as we hoped for in
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2012-March/016357.html

In this particular case, I am more interested in the formulation
allowing multiple axioms, using 0,1,and,or,not,=. This Wolfram/Veroff
example involves a single axiom with an abbreviation for nand, which I
consider substantially less attractive for the spirit of
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2012-March/016357.html Of course,
I can imagine a rationale, say involving circuits and other
considerations, where one may get interested in the Wolfram/Veroff
formulation.

I also see from http://www.cs.unm.edu/~veroff/BA that there is
subsequent work on short axiomatizations of BA, still with a primary
focus on single axioms.

Of course, a small set of small axioms is much more readable.

INFORMAL QUESTION. What is the most readable axiomatization of BA in
0,1,and,or,not?

Here one can put a very stringent condition, say just size, on each
axiom, and a stringent condition on the number of axioms.

Harvey Friedman