[FOM] Arithmetic with Limited Exponentiation II

Dmytro Taranovsky dmytro at mit.edu
Sun Nov 29 20:03:49 EST 2015

Part of foundations of mathematics is finding weak systems that capture
much of mathematics -- and are convenient to work with.  A natural
notion of weak is interpretable in IDelta_0, which is arithmetic with
bounded quantifier induction.  Going below IDelta_0 under
interpretability requires restricting first order logic (assuming that
every number has a successor and addition and multiplication have a few
basic properties), and conversely if first order logic is restricted to
boolean combinations of Pi^0_k sentences, IDelta_0 does not have length
n proof of existence of 2^2^...^n (k+5 2s).

Here, I will present and analyze a natural hierarchy of theories
interpretable in IDelta_0.  It is surprising how much can be
interpreted, including (new result) Weak Konig's Lemma.

Familiarity with my "Arithmetic with Limited Exponentiation" posting
(Nov 21, 2015) is not required.  A good background can be found in
"Interpretability in Robinson's Q" in the Bulletin of Symbolic Logic.

== The Theory and its Extensions ==

The theory will have 4 types:
* unary numbers, as in physical sizes; this type is used for convenience
and intuitive appeal; n is unary iff 2^n exists as binary
* binary numbers, as in digital data; below, by numbers we will mean
binary numbers
* functions: map numbers into numbers
* operators: map functions into functions.

Notes:
* Many Pi^0_2 number theory theorems will need to weakened as: For every
unary number there is a binary number such that the bounded-quantifier
relation holds.
* One can add additional types of numbers, such as small numbers (say n
is small iff 2^n exists as unary), and additional types of operators,
such as hyperoperators (mapping operators into operators).
* Because pairing will be codable, arity of functions and operators does
not matter.
* Equality is primitive only for numbers. f=g means A.n f(n)=g(n), so
f=g is not a bounded quantifier formula.
* The language is very expressive.  For example, under the
set-theoretical interpretation, the Continuum Hypothesis is equivalent to
E.F A.f,g E.n F(n,f)=g or F(n,g)=f  (n is a natural number and f and g
are functions)

Define mu(x<n:phi(x)) as the least number x<n such that phi(x) holds,
and 0 if there is no such number.  E. and A. stand for existential and
universal quantifier respectively.

Axioms:
1. Basic arithmetical axioms.  Include constants 0 and 1, and functions
'+', '*', and x->x^len(x) (len is bit length; len(x) = floor(lg x)+1,
except that len(0)=0).
2. Induction for bounded quantifier formulas.  Equivalently, A.f (A.n
f(n)=f(n+1) ==> A.n f(n)=f(0)).
3. Bounded collection:  A.m E.n f(m,n)=1 ==> A.m E.n A.m'<m E.n'<n
f(m',n')=1
4. Extensionality: F(f)(m) != F(g)(m) ==> E.n f(n) != g(n)
5. Bounded quantifier comprehension:
     a. functions: E.f f(x) = mu(y<T(x):phi(x,y))   (T is a term; T and
phi do not use f)
     b. operators: E.F A.f F(f)(x) = mu(y<T(x):phi(x,y,f))   (T is a
term; T and phi do not use F)
    where phi is a bounded quantifier formula
    - each numeric quantifier is in the form A.z<S or E.z<S where S is a
term that does not use z.
    - each function quantifier is in the form 5a (i.e. one can use
bounded minimization to define new functions).
    - each operator quantifier is in the form 5b.

Notes:
* Per convention, the axioms are open formulas that are assumed to be
universally quantified.
* Bounded quantifier formulas appear very expressive:  They can use
functions and operators, and have quantifiers of the form E.n<f(m) (and
E.n<F(f)(m) and so on), and even use mu to get new functions as input to
operators.
* To get a theory that corresponds to polynomial time computation, treat
quantification over binary numbers as unbounded, limit comprehension to
polynomial time comprehension, and change induction to induction over
unary numbers on (relativized) NP predicates.
* Bounded collection (even for polynomial time relations) is not
provable in PRA, even if extended with all true Pi^0_2 statements, but
it is very useful for dealing with arbitrary recursive functions.
* If we used predicates instead of functions, and coded functions by
predicates, then recursive comprehension would be necessary for basic
things such as existence of {n: f(n)=0}.  By using functions directly,
we avoid the need to include unlimited recursive comprehension to get a
meaningful theory of functions.

Extensions:
6. Add (or assert existence of) SUM operator: SUM(f)(n) = sum(f(n): 0<=i<n).
7. More generally, treat quantification over P(n) (using functions) or
P(P(n)) (using operators) as bounded, or otherwise allow a high
computational complexity class in defining functions and operators.
(Here, P stands for power set, and n is a number. A boolean function f
codes an element of P(n) iff A.m>=n f(m)=0, and a boolean F codes an
element of P(P(n)) iff F(f) depends on f only through {m<n:f(m)=0}.)
8. Allow quasipolynomial time functions: x->x^len(x)^len(len(x)).

For a fixed k (but not simultaneously for all k in N), we can even allow
Omega_k:  For all x, x^len(x)^...^len^k(x) exists, where len^k is k-fold
iteration of len.
Function Omega_k:  x->x^len(x)^...^len^k(x) exists as a function.

The language and the theory can be extended with hyperoperators (and any
fixed finite number of types) defined analogously to operators, and
satisfying extensionality and bounded quantifier comprehension, and with
one extension treating quantifiers over P(P(P(n))) as bounded.

Further Extensions:
9. Recursive Comprehension:  A.x E.y phi(x,y) ==> E.f A.x phi(x,f(x))
(bounded quantifier phi).
10. Weak Konig's Lemma (WKL):  Every infinite depth binary tree (coded
by a boolean function) has an infinite path.

Note: Axioms 9 and 10 are extremely useful for mathematical analysis,
but 9 breaks the relation between functions and bounded time
computability, and 10 breaks the relation between functions and
computability.  Also, I have not worked out recursive comprehension for
operators, including the right definition, theory strength, and its
relation with higher types, extensionality, and WKL.

Formula Expressiveness
A Pi_k sentence is a sentence of the type QX_1 QX_2 ... QX_k phi, where
each Q is a quantifier (A. or E.), the first Q being A. (or E. for
Sigma_k), each X_i is a tuple of variables, and phi is a bounded
quantifier formula.
Under the set-theoretical interpretation, Pi_{k+1} formulas correspond
to Pi^2_k formulas.  A Sigma^2_1 formula can be coded as E.F A.g phi
where phi is bounded quantifier.  Conversely, (assuming comprehension) a
Sigma_1 formula can be witnessed by an operator which is zero on all but
a finite set of functions. Sigma_1 statements are essentially Sigma^0_1,
and all true Sigma_1 statements are provable from the axioms 1-5 (even
if phi may quantify over P(n) and P(P(n))).

== Real Numbers and Analysis ==

Reverse mathematics up to RCA_0 illuminated much of the structure of
mathematical analysis.  Going further, and doing analysis without full
recursive comprehension will illuminate which constructions use bounded
versus unbounded time.  Studying weak theories also shows the complexity
of certain constructions, such as the equivalence between (a) being able
to do integration, (b) having SUM operator (axiom 6), and (c) having
oracles for relativized PP problems.

Because of absence of exponentiation, there are two natural notions of
real numbers, both of which satisfy real field axioms.  For every unary
number t, ordinary real numbers are defined with 2^-t error, and
approximate real numbers are defined with 1/t error.  They can can
defined as follows.
* Ordinary real numbers:  Let (n,f) code n+sum(f(2^i)/2^i: i>0) where n
is an integer and each f(2^i) is in {0,1,2}.
* Approximate real numbers:  Same as above, but n is a unary integer and
use f(2^2^i) in place of f(2^i).
A function R->R may depend only the value of the real number, as opposed
to an intensional function that may depend on the code.

Without recursive comprehension (and to a lesser extent, without WKL),
classically equivalent notions become nonequivalent. Nevertheless, there
is a notion of a continuous function on R^n that captures what we need
(for axioms 1-5):
f is continuous iff there is a function g(x,r,delta) --> epsilon, such
that |y-x|<r and |y-z|<epsilon ==> |f(y)-f(z)|<delta and for delta>0,
epsilon>0.
In other words, f is uniformly continuous in every ball, and there is a
function witnessing this.  This works because every closed bounded
subset of R^n is compact; the base theory appears too weak to properly
handle arbitrary separable metric spaces.

With this definition, every continuous function R^n->R^n can be coded by
a numeric function (with the code also coding g), as opposed to an
operator.  Using axioms 1-6, we can show that integration exists as an
operator, and is linear and satisfies most of its basic properties;
axiom 6 is not needed for approximate reals.

We can also do reverse mathematics.

Theorem (axioms 1-5):  Intermediate value theorem is equivalent to
recursive comprehension for predicates.
Proof Sketch:  If the function has no rational zeros, use the
constructive version (below) and wait until the interval becomes short
enough before returning it.  Conversely, given a recursive function f,
we can find a polynomial time function on reals with one zero, and that
zero will code f.
Note:  In the base system, the complexity of a function is decoupled
from its growth rate, so finding complex predicates does not prove
existence of fast growing functions.

Problem:  Find other natural equivalents to recursive comprehension.

A constructive weakening of intermediate value theorem is provable in
the base system:  If f is continuous, and f(0)<0 and f(1)>0, then there
is g such that g(n) returns (a_n,b_n), where |f(x)|<1/n for all x in the
interval (a_n,b_n) and a_j < a_k < b_k < a_j for j<k.  We can also show
that every continuous function on [0,1] has a supremum.  However, having
a maximum value, along with many other statements in analysis, is
equivalent to Weak Konig's Lemma.  Some of these equivalences have been
worked out in a theory called BTFA and its extensions.

== Interpretability in IDelta_0 ==

Despite its expressiveness and apparent power, the theory (axioms 1-10)
is interpretable in IDelta_0.  Furthermore, under our interpretation in
IDelta_0, there is a definable cut K and a formula phi coding the
satisfaction relation for bounded quantifier formulas whose length is in
K.  I plan to include more details in an upcoming paper, but here I will
present the main construction.

In IDelta_0 (and even in extended Robinson arithmetic Q^+), we have a
rich collection of definable cuts:
* Given a definable cut I, there is a definable cut J that such that for
n all in J, 2^n is in I
* Unless I satisfies Sigma_2 induction (and Sigma_k induction), there is
a definable cut J < I.
These cuts are obtained through alternation of unbounded quantifiers and
illustrate that the real strength of IDelta_0 is through meaningfulness
of unbounded quantification.  Also, if Sigma_2 induction holds, then we
can use it code a model of WKL_0, so we will assume that it fails on the
cuts we will consider.

In its general form, the theory can be parameterized by
k_1 -- numbers satisfy Omega_{k_1}
k_2 -- the number of higher types (i.e. k_2 = 2 if we use just functions
and operators)
k_3 -- number of exponentials sufficient for computation of bounded
quantification (with axiom 7 and its analogues k_3 = k_2+1, and without
it k_3 = 1).
k_4 -- (not used in the proof) for restricted quantification theories,
maximum k such that Pi_k sentences are allowed.

Let 2_a^b = 2^2^...^b (a 2s).

The construction will use three cuts: K<=J<I
I -- satisfies Omega_1
J -- satisfies Omega_{k_1}, and with 2_{k_3}^n in I for some n not in J.
K -- closed under '+','*', and such that for every total recursive
function f on I
      - I is closed under f^{2_{k_2}^n} for all n in K
      - if f is total on J, J is also closed under f^{2_{k_2}^n} for all
n in K

Interpretation:
* Numbers are elements of J.
* Functions are polynomial time functions on I whose runtime is
(len(x)+len(M))^c, with (M,c) included in the code, and
   - M is in I
   - there is n in K such that c < 2_{k_2+1}^n
   - the function is total on J.
* Operators (and hyperoperators, etc.) and bounded quantifier formulas
are coded by a sequence of bounded-quantifier definitions whose total
length (number of bits) is in K, and that may refer to numbers and
functions.

Notes:
* WKL can be shown as follows.  Given a (coded) predicate P on J, we can
use the polynomial time computability to compute P up to some point
beyond J, and then choose a path through the binary tree corresponding to P.
* A length n bounded quantifier formula can apply a function up to about
2_{k_2}^n number of times.  For example, set F_0(f) = f*f, F_{n+1} =
F_n*F_n ('*' is composition), so F_n(f) = f^{2^2^n}.  This speed up
characterizes the inherent strength of a basic ability to use higher types.
* Conversely, for an operator F with bounded-quantifier definition
length n, there is a function g such that F(f)(m) uses f only for
arguments less than h^{2_{k_2}^n}(m) where h(x) = max(y<=x:f(y)+g(y)).
Similar results also hold for higher types, and extensionality follows.

Using cut elimination, the interpretability implies that for every
finite k_1,k_2,k_3,k_4 if we restrict first order logic to boolean
combinations of Pi_{k_4} sentences, there is k such that every proof of
existence of 2_k^n has length >n.

Sincerely,
Dmytro Taranovsky
http://web.mit.edu/dmytro/www/main.htm