[FOM] Arithmetic with Limited Exponentiation

Dmytro Taranovsky dmytro at mit.edu
Sat Nov 21 20:32:53 EST 2015

An important part in our quest to understand the structure of knowledge
is to find natural weak systems that capture much of mathematics.
Exponential Function Arithmetic (EFA) captures most arithmetic, but can
we go further by limiting exponentiation?

Formally, we can define weaker systems, but conceptually we encounter an
obstacle:
For every k, IDelta_0 (arithmetic with only bounded quantifier
induction) proves that there is a cut I such that
* I is closed under '+' and '*' (and contains 0 and 1)
* for every i in I, 2_k^i exists (a_b^c is a^a^...^a^c (b exponentials))

Thus, even in a very weak system (interpretable in Robinson arithmetic
Q), we can in a sense iterate exponentiation any fixed finite number of
times.  However, we do not want for (for example) 2^2^...^2 (16 2s) to
have a short existence proof.  The issue is that meaningfulness of
quantifiers over natural numbers implies a certain ability to do an
unbounded search over natural numbers. Meaningfulness of quantifiers
implies that N (the set of natural numbers) has certain attributes of a
completed totality.  The combinatorial strength of this principle is the
partial ability to do exponentiation.

However, ordinary mathematics uses quantifiers in a limited way, and in
particular uses only a very small number of unbounded quantifier
alternations. By restricting quantifiers, we may restrict exponentiation
while still capturing much mathematical practice. Specifically, for a
fixed small k, restrict sentences to those reducible to a boolean
combinations of
Qx_1 Qx_2 ... Qx_k phi(x_1,x_2,...,x_k)
where each Q is a quantifier and phi is a bounded quantifier formula.
For quantifier counting, a quantifier may be over (fixed-length) tuples
of variables.  Also note that in derivation systems that use open
formulas, a k-1 quantifier formula may correspond to a k quantifier
sentence.
I think that the consistency of IDelta_0 restricted this way is provable
in EFA, but I do not have a proof.  For many statements, k=1 suffices --
most number theory theorems have natural Pi^0_1 strengthenings.
However, it is annoying to always modify statements this way, and k=2
allows one to speak of (for example) an algorithm having linear time
without specifying a proportionality constant. For second order
theories, basic axioms on real numbers appear to need at least k=3
(which we will use below), and k=4 allows general Pi^1_2 statements (and
k=5 -- Pi^1_3).

We can arrange (through additional axioms if necessary) that provability
in the original theory agrees with the theory restricted to k quantifier
sentences.  The original theory may have an iterated exponential
speed-up of proofs, but that speed-up should only be likely for
sentences that (perhaps indirectly) involve very large numbers.
An alternative is to allow arbitrary formulas but limit the cut rule to
restricted formulas, thus treating unrestricted formulas as having
limited epistemic validity.  This should get systems that -- provably in
EFA + iterated exponentiation -- are equivalent to (for example)
IDelta_0, yet with consistency provable in EFA.  However, absence of
modus ponens is problematic, and allowing the cut rule for arbitrary
sentences (but not open formulas) would allow length n existence proof
of about 2_{log*(n)}^n.

Let us define the exponential index of a theory as
maximum k such that existence of 2_k^n has a proof of length n^O(1).

Challenge:  Find natural theories with small exponential indices that
capture much of mathematics.
If S is a natural theory of exponential index k, then I conjecture that
provably in a weak base theory, S has no inconsistency proof P (coded by
a natural number) such that 2_{k+2}^P exists.
Besides exponential index, theories vary by the amount of induction, and
one can intuitively associate a computational complexity class with a
theory based on exponential index and the complexity corresponding to
permitted induction.

I will now discuss one weak theory and its variations.  Even for finite
programs, it is often useful to talk of input-time-output relation
without noting implementation, and the natural language for this is to
use infinite sets.  Also, restricted exponentiation prevents equivalence
of binary and unary numbers, so for maximum usability we want three types:
1. ordinary or unary numbers -- as in physical sizes; closed under '+'
and '*'. One extension is to require closure under quasipolynomial
functions, specifically n-->floor(n^(log n)) (n>0).
2. words or binary numbers -- as in data that a program can manipulate.
3. sets or predicates on words.

Axiomatization:
* Basic axioms.
* Induction (PIND): Every nonempty set has a word of minimum length.
* Bounded quantifier comprehension:
forall P thereis Q forall w (Q(w) <==> phi(P,w)) where phi is a bounded
quantifier formula (P may be a tuple of variables; w is a word).

Its exponential index is (at least) 5: Define I_0 = {x: 2^2^2^x exists
as a binary number}, I_1 = {x: I_0 is closed under y->y+2^x}, and I_2 =
{x: I_1 is closed under y->y+2^x}. Membership in I_2 is Pi^0_3 and hence
meaningful for constants, allowing us to prove say I_2(100). The
exponential index rises to 9 if unary numbers are closed under
quasipolynomial functions, and the system is extended to make sets with
bounded word length count as numbers and behave accordingly, and we
allow sentences with five blocks of unbounded quantifiers.  (5 and 9 are
lower bounds; I do not have a proof of optimality.)

One extension is to allow recursive comprehension, but I do not know
whether that will preserve finite exponential index.  Even Weak Konig's
Lemma can be added, but then we would lose optional interpretability of
predicates as equivalence classes of programs.

Bounded quantifier formulas correspond to the polynomial hierarchy PH
(or relativized PH if the formula has a free set variable). There are
natural comprehension schemes that (assuming basic comprehension)
correspond to different complexity classes:
* counting hierarchy: Q(w) = |{v<w: phi(P,v)}| (with Q encoded by a set)
* PSPACE: Q(w) = phi(P, {v: Q(v) and w-len(w) < v < w})
* EXPTIME: Q(w) = phi(P, {v<w: Q(v)})
* exponential hierarchy:  Treat quantifiers over sets containing only
words of restricted length as bounded.
* In the other direction (corresponding to S^1_2), one can restrict
comprehension to polynomial time P, but allow induction for NP formulas.

Capturing the counting hierarchy is useful to define acceptance
probability of a polynomial time randomized (or even quantum)
computation.  Acceptance probability (after rescaling to get an integer)
is complete for #P, which is conjectured to be outside PH; however
approximations are in PH.  For quantum computation, even approximations
are not known to be in PH.

There is a hierarchy of systems based on how many times exponentiation
can be effectively applied (and on other restrictions on comprehension
and induction).  A good project would be to catalog some of these
systems of arithmetic and analysis, show that their consistency is
provable in EFA, and see how much mathematics can be done in them.

Sincerely,
Dmytro Taranovsky