[FOM] Embedding Z (or other ZFC fragments) in HOL

Mario Carneiro di.gama at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:37:27 EST 2015

Thank you to everyone who has provided such great references; this is
exactly what I was looking for.

I think I can see why my proposed translation would fail, since there is a
possibility that unbounded quantifiers in the separation scheme, which
would be translated to bounded quantifiers over a "large enough" set, could
still detect that they are bounded. To take a simple example, the
proposition ( om e. x /\ A. x E. y rank(y) > rank(x) ) would be true in the
intended model V_2om of HOL but false in any type (assuming that types are
mapped to elements of V_2om), no matter how large.

The claim that Z (just so we're on the same page, Z means Zermelo set
theory here) proves Con(HOL) leads me to consider the reverse embedding,
however, by roughly the same method. Define the types 2 = bool and om = ind
as 0-large, and define an n-large set inductively as sets of the form A,
A^B for any n-1-large sets A, B. This is definable in Z, and the set of all
n-large sets for fixed n provably exists in Z. Then any given proof in HOL
will use only n-large sets up to some fixed n, and all these can be proven
to exist. Furthermore, this approach allows one to map HOL + global choice
(which is the way AC is usually formulated in HOL) to ZC, because if you
assume that f is a choice function on all n-large sets for some n large
enough for all the types in the proof, then f can play the role of the @
choice function, and at the end of the proof you can discharge the
assumption by AC.

Mario