[FOM] Extension of well-founded relation well-ordering (Gert Smolka)

Andrei Popescu uuomul at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 15:33:38 EST 2015

Hi Gert,

Yes, this is an easy consequence of Zorn, but I don't know of any literature reference on it. We had a recent discussion about this on the Isabelle mailing list: please see the thread "extending well-founded partial orders to total well-founded orders" on the page https://lists.cam.ac.uk/pipermail/cl-isabelle-users/2013-February/thread.html

There is now an Isabelle formalization by Christian Sternagel:

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/hvg/Isabelle/dist/library/HOL/HOL-Cardinals/Wellorder_Extension.html
This is HOL (hence uses Hilbert choice), but the proof can be easily adapted to your setting.

All the best,   Andrei

Message: 2