[FOM] 603: Removing Deep Pathology 3 Harvey Friedman Tue Aug 25 10:24:45 EDT 2015

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:16:05 EDT 2015

I definitely remember many cases when teaching baby set theory, especially,
when a proof of a claim C splits into cases, where by this often convenient
proof method, the cases are all laid out, say often 4 cases (sometimes 2
sometimes other powers of 2). The prover knows that they have divided up
the work in a trivially understandable and comprehensive way in order to
avoid errors and confusions. Then under one or more of the trivial cases,
the statement of the case itself is cited to contradict (or quickly
contradict) something we already know or have assumed, and therefore the
case is dispatched as "inapplicable" or whatever, and the desired
conclusion C is considered secured under that case.
​ After the claim is secured in all of the cases, the claim is considered
secured (relative of course to any assumptions made ahead of the split into
cases).​

Superficially, this seems to be the kind of thing that people actually do
and teach, and like, which you are negatively flagging. E.g., I think that
common ways of proving the distributive laws for pairwise union and
intersection, and maybe De Morgan laws, are often done this way.

If this is right, then we have to evaluate
​exactly
 what you are depriving us of.

​ALSO, do we get any benefit from a Tenant approved proof as opposed to
simply a proof? In constructively/intuitionism, we definitely do. ​

​Harvey Friedman​