[FOM] 606: Simple Theory of Types

Sam Sanders sasander at cage.ugent.be
Sun Aug 30 05:39:06 EDT 2015

Dear Harvey,

As you have pointed out in the past, a non-trivial aspect of Reverse Math is the representation (aka “coding”) of mathematical objects in second-order arithmetic.
In your below posting, you also suggest that low levels of the type hierarchy suffice for formalising mathematics.

In general, I agree with that statement, but there are however non-trivial exceptions (which seem to tank associated grand claims).
In particular, while most of the coding in RM is innocent, it is not always completely faithful/harmless,
as shown by the following examples:

1) The definition of continuity (say on Baire space) in RM reduces type two objects to type one objects.
However, the RM-definition of continuity also gives rise to a type three “fan functional” as follows:  The RM-theorem

“every RM-cont. function on Cantor space is uniform RM-cont on Cantor space”

is equivalent to

“there is a functional which takes as input an RM-cont function on Cantor space, and outputs a modulus of uniform (RM) cont.

in Kohlenbach’s higher-order RM.  (See Theorem 4.1 in http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.03613 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.03613> )

Similar statements can be obtained for other theorems related to continuity, of course.
Thus, the practice of coding in RM, designed to obviate higher-type objects, actually introduces a host of new ones

2) Some RM of topology has been done in sosoa, where topologies are represented/coded by countable bases.

For instance, a theorem concerning topologies on the reals has the form:

(\forall Y^3)(Y is a topology on the reals => A(Y))					 (2)

and (2)  is interpreted in RM as:

(\forall X^1)(X is a countable basis for a topology on the reals => A(X)),     (1)

assuming A is nice enough.

However, (1) has the problem that in Kohlenbach’s higher-order RM, the antecedent “there is a countable basis …” implies full second-order arithmetic.
Hence, when interpreting (1) in the higher-order framework again, it becomes a vacuous truth.   (See the PhD thesis of James Hunter at Madison-Wisc.  http://www.math.wisc.edu/~lempp/theses/hunter.pdf <http://www.math.wisc.edu/~lempp/theses/hunter.pdf> )
Thus, the RM of topology in second-order arithmetic has considerable problems when re-interpreted in the higher-order framework.

Ironically, Hunter proposes (also in his PhD) to adopt a new type “alpha” for "points in a topology".  The subsequent RM of topology looks
a lot nicer as a result (See the final chapters in the aforementioned PhD).

Finally, as I stated at the beginning, the above are exceptions and Kohlenbach has even shown that coding of continuous functions does
not affect the RM of WKL (See his paper in the Feferman Festschrift).

Best,

Sam