[FOM] Removing Deep Pathology 1

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 01:48:07 EDT 2015

Further observations:

My last question below was rhetorical, a partition of the unit square into a countable union of graphs and cographs gives a set which is countable on vertical lines and co-countable on horizontal lines, whose iterated integrals exist and disagree, a situation which I showed in my thesis (and Harvey had earlier showed) cannot be proven to occur in ZFC. This is a very deep kind of pathology (you can prove it trivially with CH and Choice, but Choice alone won't do it, it's consistent that iterated integrals of non-negative functions never disagree in any dimension).

Some other levels of pathology not represented below include:

Banach-Tarski sets (logically similar to nonmeasurable sets but much more surprising because they involve only finitely many sets in the decompositions) are arguably more pathological than nonlinear f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y), but less pathological than the anti-Fubini set in example 5).

The existence of a nonprincipal ultrafilter on N is less pathological than the examples which use full choice on sets of reals (not only is a weaker form of Choice necessary, but the SPACE of ultrafilters is the first nontrivial example of a very standard construction, the Stone-Cech compactification, and a single element of such a standard object can't be very objectionable.

Hendrik Boom seems to imply that there are explicit constructions of partitions of space into nonparallel lines or nonparallel circles--if there are, I'd like very much to see them. "Pathological" such partitions are trivial to construct with a well-ordering of the reals (because any line or circle intersects any other one in only finitely many points, so if you give the reals a well-ordering such that each element has less than continuum-many predecessors there will always be room to find a new line or circle through a new point and disjoint from previous lines or circles).

Hendrik says that partial noncomputable functions aren't pathological but total ones are -- what about the Busy Beaver function?

Going back to Harvey's original post: the Shoenfield Absoluteness Theorem and related results guarantee that for almost all the theorems we care about, monsters may be ignored.

-- JS