[FOM] New Umbrella?

David Posner dposner at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 28 20:09:21 EDT 2014

I think it's pretty obvious that this discussion is not really about which formal system can formalize what.  I think people are pretty clear about that.  Nor is the discussion about the practicality of the competing systems.  It's ridiculous to believe that the HoTT people have spent all this effort on a system that doesn't make their lives easier.  The discussion is about the religion of mathematics.  The HoTT people will naturally want to claim that HoTT provides a superior FOM.  Just as naturally, people invested in the set theoretic FOM are going to object to this claim.  Jobs are at stake!  Formerly respectable mathematicians might have to become programmers or something awful like that.  Professor Awodey you shouldn't be shocked when the discussion gets a little hot.  What's frustrating is that the proponents of HoTT are beating around the bush trying to reduce the fundamental question about God the Universe and everything to picayune technical
 issues.  So tell us HoTT people: why should mathematicians believe in the HoTT version of the mathematical universe.  In particular why should I want to live in a world without real models?