[FOM] New Umbrella?

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 16:51:17 EDT 2014

I found the recent post of  Jay Sulzberger real progress for the
discussion. http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2014-October/018302.html

The following crucial one line response appearing in his long and
interesting message is as follows:

> A. Give a completely transparent account of a generally understandable
> situation where the Standard Umbrella allegedly really breaks down. It
> is easy to point to some math that few people have studied and simply
> say "the Standard Umbrella is inadequate" and just leave it at that.
> That is completely unconvincing. See the recent FOM postings of Freek
> and Levy on this point. Radicals - please comment on Freek and Levy on
> this point.I

No.  We are asking different questions.

Now we are really getting somewhere. What questions are you asking?
Are they of general intellectual interest?

STRONG THESIS: Whatever questions you are asking are easily answered
in classical f.o.m. with some finesse.

WEAK THESIS. Whatever questions you are asking can be adequately
answered in classical f.o.m. with some serious work.

If I can get enough grip on your questions, and they are of general
intellectual interest, then I likely will try my hand at these Theses.

Harvey Friedman