[FOM] Blakers-Massey in ZF and HoTT

Paul Levy P.B.Levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 18:50:55 EDT 2014

Since sending this message, my attention has been drawn to the
following very interesting thread, which discusses some similar issues.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/HomotopyTypeTheory/AI5yAWzCVLQ

I would like to say the following.  I greatly prefer the kind of
discussion on that thread, which hops back and forth between HoTT
theorems on the one hand and models and metatheorems on the other, to
the HoTT book, which is conducted entirely inside HoTT and therefore
doesn't mention models.  At the risk of being extremely provocative, I
feel that the former is science and the latter is more like
propaganda.  I do not think one can give a well-motivated introduction
to HoTT without mentioning models.  By contrast, I think it is
perfectly fine to introduce ZF in the traditional way without
mentioning models.

Paul

--
Paul Blain Levy
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham