[FOM] formal proofs (was: Hersh on Flyspeck

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:54:08 EDT 2014

Here are some more examples of "accepted proofs":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incomplete_proofs

Voevodski describes in
http://www.math.ias.edu/~vladimir/Site3/Univalent_Foundations_files/2014_IAS.pdf
several situations of recent buggy proofs and contradictory theorems
in his field that stayed unresolved for some time, and how he started
to feel uncertain about possible errors produced in "high-level" math
research.

Andrzej Trybulec had similar motivation when he started to work on
Mizar in 1973. He wanted a machine to check his (several times
rewritten) PhD thesis in topology under Borsuk. (It was originally
supposed to be a small side-project: "I am a mathematician, so I will
easily program this and then go back to serious science" :-).

Josef