[FOM] formal proofs (was: Hersh on Flyspeck

katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il
Mon Oct 13 05:35:18 EDT 2014

Robinson was the first to challenge the idea that Cauchy's sum theorem was
"critically flawed".  Detlef Laugwitz (of Schmieden-Laugwitz fame) developed
these ideas in detail.  It emerges that the error can only be attributed to
Cauchy if we assume that he was working with the real Archimedean continuum
that we (as well as modern historians of mathematics) are accustomed to.  If
one drops this assumption, Cauchy's statement can be interpreted as correct.
Here Laugwitz interprets the hypothesis of Cauchy's theorem as requiring
convergence at what today would be called nonstandard points in addition to
the real points.  Then one does get a correct theorem.  My own position,
unlike Laugwitz's, is that the exact hypothesis Cauchy may have had in mind in
1821 is too ambiguous to decide.  Meanwhile in an 1853 article Cauchy
specifically extended the hypothesis to include additional points. This is
dealt with in an article by Borovik and myself here:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10699-011-9235-x
MK