[FOM] Information for those using email addresses from yahoo or hotmail

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue Nov 25 17:35:52 EST 2014

It seems that the email software provided by Yahoo and the "hotmail"
service provided by Microsoft suffer from the following problem:

The software determines that posts coming from the server FOM uses at NYU
are spam and demands that those cease. In this situation it seems that NYU
is required to delete the offending address from the FOM subscriber list.

As moderator I will then get an email message from the system at NYU with a
list of deleted addresses. When I catch such a message, I reinstate the
alleged offenders. (If you have wondered why you receive messages welcoming
you to FOM although you have been a long-time subscriber, now you know
why.) But a week or so later the same "culprit" is bounced off FOM again.

There is nothing more I can do about this. But I do suggest that
subscribers use a different email address for FOM. You can change your
subscription address yourself, but I'd gladly do it for you on request.

Best wishes,
Martin