[FOM] Formal verification

Rempe-Gillen, Lasse L.Rempe at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 18:48:16 EST 2014

Dear all,

On FOM on October 24, I proposed the challenge of formal verification of Misiurewicz's 1981 proof of a conjecture of Fatou from 1926.

Freek Wiedijk kindly passed my suggestion on to John Harrison, who worked his magic and very quickly completed a full verification of the theorem in HOL Light.

http://code.google.com/p/hol-light/source/browse/trunk/Examples/misiurewicz.ml

The key statement proved is quite easy to parse:
"!u a. open u /\ ~(u = {}) /\ ~(a = Cx(&0))
         ==> ?n. a IN IMAGE (ITER n cexp) u."
That is: "If U is a nonempty open set and a is a non-zero complex number, then U contains a preimage of a under some iterate of f."

Many thanks to John for his amazing work, which demonstrates that the verification of theorems of modern complex analysis with relatively "elementary" proofs is certainly feasible at this point.

The original summary of my challenge is included below as a reminder.

Best wishes,
Lasse