[FOM] alternative foundations?

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sat Mar 22 19:50:19 EDT 2014

My impression of this thread is that much of the discussion has been at
cross purposes. Those posting write about "foundations" without first
specifying what a foundation is supposed to be for. Many of the posts have
been concerned with formalisms most suitable for use in computer systems to
which a user can conveniently input a purported mathematical proof that can
then be automatically checked for correctness. Developing such systems is
certainly very worthwhile. (In fact it's a project to which I myself have
contributed long ago.) But it is a project that is quite disjoint from the
tradition in which foundational issues were raised and is quite irrelevant
to either the fascinating achievements stemming from that tradition or to
the compelling problems that remain.