[FOM] the ideal mathematician

Wouter Stekelenburg w.p.stekelenburg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 03:58:35 EST 2014

The article makes comparisons to missionaries and Scientologists which are
very revealing. Those religions coerce people to enter or to stay. The
"cult of non-Riemannian hypersquares" is difficult to get into and people
who work hard to stay inside still have to leave due to lack of funding.
This difference is fundamental. It is precisely the reason why
mathematicians don't have to defend their positions as much as missionaries
did.

Message: 3