[FOM] The Ideal Mathematician

Steve Stevenson steve at clemson.edu
Fri Jan 10 14:54:50 EST 2014

Here is a copy of the paper:

http://carlossicoli.free.fr/D/Davis_P
.,_Hersh_R.,_Marchisotto_E.A.-The_mathematical_experience-Study_edition-Birkhaeuser_2011.pdf

My take is that we've all met such a person. As long as she/he teaches only
majors like Sheldon Cooper (on Big Bang Theory), I guess there's little
harm done :-)

About 20 years ago, I threw away my slides and pens and started teaching
strictly in an "active learning mode". I never loved any single topic
enough to emulate "Ideal Mathematician".

--
D. E. (Steve) Stevenson, PhD, Emeritus Associate Professor, Clemson
University