[FOM] Convincing math-blind people that math is different

Joseph Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 23:47:00 EST 2014

You are misreading me. I was careful to say that people who can speak English clearly and  who are capable of mental effort can be taught certain simple math concepts, without saying anything about the capabilities of people who were fluent in a language other than English that might not have the numerical concepts that English does.

I wouldn't say that someone who speaks only Pirah~a and comes from that culture is not intelligent. Instead, I would say that for them to learn English properly will require them to also learn some concepts they do not have in their own language, and may therefore be especially difficult for them. To the extent that they learn these concepts, learning English will have made them smarter, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily unintelligent before.

On the other hand, someone whose NATIVE language is English and who cannot understand that his language has a mechanism for producing arbitrarily high numbers IS what I would call unintelligent.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone