[FOM] Convincing math-blind people that math is different

Walt Read walt.read at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 18:55:51 EST 2014

By "comprehend", do you mean follow along with your proof? Probably,
with a little practice, most people could do that. Do you mean that
they can see why each assumption is necessary? Maybe not. That they
understand the inevitability of the result? Probably not. For almost
everybody in the world, all conditional statements have exceptions,
usually unspoken, but not preventing us from reasoning with them. AI
spent a lot of time and energy on how to reason with statements like
"if Tweety is a bird, then Tweety can fly" while still accommodating
all the exceptions.

For another take on the topic: http://xkcd.com/263/

-Walt