[FOM] Convincing math-blind people that math is different

Joseph Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 11:24:47 EST 2014

I think I reject the premise of your argument that a person can be both intelligent and "math-blind".

In my experience, every adult who is intelligent enough to speak English clearly and make *any* kind of mental effort is capable of understanding certain simple ideas which can serve as a basis for genuinely mathematical insight. For example:

1) ask them to start writing the positive whole numbers in an increasing sequence: 1,2,3,... and ask them if there is a largest number or if they could continue writing the numbers forever. If they cannot grasp that these are different and incompatible propositions, then I claim that they are not only math-blind, but that they are unintelligent.

2) show them the definition of a prime number and get them to the point where they admit that, for any given number, it is possible to tell if it is prime or not by trying divisors successively starting with 2.

3) start writing out the prime numbers 2,3,5,7,11,...and ask them to verify that the first part of your list is correct, then ask them whether they think it is a meaningful question whether there is a largest prime number or whether the prime numbers go on forever like the positive whole numbers do.

Note that at this point you have not asked them to understand a proof that the prime numbers go on forever, you're just getting them to affirm that that is a meaningful statement. If they do not know a proof of it, you can them get them to affirm that they "know" that there is no largest whole number in a different way than how they "know" there is no largest prime number.

4) This is already enough to establish what is special about mathematical knowledge, but you can go further and assert that you "know" that the primes go on forever in the same way that they "know" that the whole numbers go on forever, not by authority but by understanding. They may or may not be able to follow the proof, but they should be able to grasp the distinction about types of knowledge.

5) if they get this far, you can also point out that you "know" the twin prime conjecture in a lesser sense--you believe the twin primes go on forever from numerical evidence but you don't have an understanding of why they must do so, so that belief is not the same kind of knowledge as your knowledge of the primes going on forever.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone