[FOM] Convincing math-blind people that math is different

Auke Booij auke at tulcod.com
Wed Dec 24 12:33:47 EST 2014

Disclaimer: I am a constructivist (to be more specific, I believe that
constructive logics are sufficient for expressing mathematical truths
that help technological (in the broad sense) progress), and would like
to contest your thesis that mathematical knowledge is special in the
way you describe.

I like to believe that if something so fundamental is true, then it
should be easy to explain. And this particular idea seems so deeply
rooted in mathematics, and so many people have made an attempt at
explaining it clearly, that something must be wrong.

So here's a radical idea: mathematical knowledge is not qualitatively
different from most other kinds of (academic) knowledge.

So let's start by specifying some kinds of knowledge that I claim
mathematical knowledge is similar to (for the moment conflating "not
different" with "similar"): physics, engineering, arts.

Since this would normally be the point where opinions diverge, let me
try to convince you. To do that, I am going to make a guess as to what
you might believe constitutes mathematical knowledge.

Especially if you are a platonist (or if you otherwise believe in "the
existence" of mathematical objects), this is easy: mathematical
knowledge is some collection (e.g. a book) of properties of otherwise
inaccessible objects in some higher world.

And if this is what you believe, then I have to admit that
mathematical knowledge is in some sense special, and you can explain
it by referring to this external universe of mathematical objects,
reducing the explanation problem to a different one (though not one
that I could solve, but this was not your original question).

However, I know that there are many people who have doubts about such
forms of platonism. In particular, on the other end of the scale,
there is constructivism, which we can see as being all about building
machines (although obviously, philosophy of constructivism is a field
of its own - this is merely my interpretation): indeed, in the
computational semantics, proofs (a.k.a. truths) in constructive
mathematics correspond exactly to computer programs, and in a more
general viewpoint, constructive truths correspond exactly to the
things we can see, measure, build, and construct. We can measure the
difference between the numbers e and pi because at some finite level
of precision, some physical measurements have different outcomes. Only
in specific cases can we construct roots of a physical input-output
relation (read: a machine executing a mathematical function), and not
in general of every continuous function: but luckily, in the case of
physics, all functions are smooth.

And it *looks* like all mathematics can be expressed constructively.
In particular, looking at it extremely syntactically, it is decidable
(read: constructive) whether a list of formulae is a valid deduction
of the last formula in the list. So in some sense, even
nonconstructive mathematics can be expressed constructively, albeit
only syntactically.

And so in some sense, the engineering of machines (electrical
circuits, say) corresponds to the implementation of mathematical
truths. Conceiving of an experimental setup that will teach you
something about physics corresponds to conjuring up a mathematical
measurement. And indeed, the arts are in some respect just a body of
knowledge that teach you how to respond to ideas in society (and I do
believe there are artists whose behavior could very well be modeled by
a flow chart). There is no need to talk about some external "truth" of
theorems.

At this point one might argue (or not) that these arguments are
invalid, since in the case of non-mathematical sciences and arts, we
can "see" if a certain machine/concept/construction works. We can
measure it, whereas mathematical truths are considered true without
experiments: you can assert their truth without doing any experiments.
But then I bring up the fact that (under a materialistic viewpoint)
mathematicians are just walking and talking computers, and these
machines *are* what do the measurement. Whenever a mathematician sits
down to verify a theorem, we can interpret this as a computer program
going through some steps to (hopefully) reach some final state.
*Doing* mathematics is as much a physical experiment as is any other
physical experiment.

So we reach the conclusion that, under this point of view,
mathematical knowledge is not so dissimilar from other sciences and
arts. And I have now definitely reached the subject of philosophy of
mathematics, which I am not sure belongs on this mailing list.

Auke.