[FOM] V = L/crises

joeshipman at aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 17:45:20 EDT 2014

I disagree; the important structures of mathematics, like the real numbers, are isomorphic to structures of well-founded sets, so that any sensible question I can ask about these structures is equivalent to a question about well-founded sets. This is not necessarily true for constructible sets. For example, if you want to know about real-valued measures on the continuum, or whether there is a bijection between countable ordinals and reals, answering these questions "in L" *changes their meaning* in a way that answering the same questions "in V" does not.

-- JS